# ADVANTAGES OF SOLID PROPELLANT ROCKETS:
What Are The Advantages Of Solid Propellant Rockets?
- Simple design (few or no moving parts).
- Easy to operate (little preflight checkout).
- Ready to operate quickly.
- Will not leak, spill, or slosh.
- Sometimes less overall weight for low total impulse application.
- Can be throttled or stopped and restarted (a few times) if preprogrammed.
- Can provide TVC, but at increased complexity.
- Can be stored for 5 to 25 years.
- Usually, higher overall density; this allows a more compact package, a smaller vehicle (less drag).
- Some propellants have nontoxic, clean exhaust gases, but at a performance penalty.
- Some grain and case designs can be used with several nozzles.
- Thrust termination devices permit control over total impulse.
- Ablation and gasification of insulator, nozzle, and liner materials contribute to mass flow and thus to total impulse.
- Some tactical missile motors have been produced in large quantities (over 200,000 per year).
- Can be designed for recovery, refurbishing, and reuse (Space Shuttle solid rocket motor).
To find more topics on our website…